On Aug. 5, 2017, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles held the inaugural Play LA fundraising event at the iconic Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. The event united the robust Los Angeles sports community for the ultimate “Play Day,” while promoting healthy and active lifestyles. Attendees enjoyed an interactive Family Festival, exclusive clinic rotations hosted by professional athletes and engaging entertainment throughout the day.
From the moment they walked through the storied tunnel onto the field and were greeted by the University of Southern California (USC) Dance Force, the L.A. Clippers Hoop Troop and mascot Chuck the Condor, the Los Angeles Rams Cheerleaders, and L.A. Galaxy mascot Cozmo, guests were having fun. In between visiting sponsor booths, taking a Zumba class and mastering the American Ninja Warriors obstacle course, families enjoyed burgers from Shake Shack and cooled off at the Otter Pops Beach Bungalow.
The heart of the event offered youth participants exclusive access to skills drills with premier athletes, such as:
- Learning self-defense from legendary boxer Laila Ali and mixed martial artist Anderson Silva
- Dribbling basketballs with NBA alumni, including Tracy Murray and Ryan Hollins
- Shooting pucks with the L.A. Kings
- Scoring goals with the L.A. Galaxy
- Bumping volleyballs with Olympian Sinjin Smith
- Hiking footballs with NFL alumni Keyshawn Johnson and Marcellus Wiley
- Putting golf balls with the PGA Foundation
- Finding balance and inner peace at the yoga station
Musical guests Chord Overstreet and School of Rock entertained the audience, and DJ Roueche from the Los Angeles Lakers mixed tunes. ESPN LA 710 AM and Radio Disney broadcasted live shows on-site while DJ Dense from the L.A. Clippers and actress Landry Bender hosted the day’s festivities.
The event culminated with the second annual All-Star for Kid Award, presented to our partners at ESPN Los Angeles for their dedication and support of Children’s Hospital Los Angeles.
The All-Star Lineup
A very playful thank you to our All-Star lineup and event partners:
American Ninja Warrior
L.A. Clippers – Chuck the Condor and Hoop Troop
Los Angeles Dance Marathon
Los Angeles Rams Cheerleaders
School of Rock
USC Dance Force