About Our Toy Donation Program
We welcome your toy donations for our patients. You can’t imagine the difference your gift can make to a hospitalized patient.
Toy Donation Guidelines
To help us maintain patient safety and well-being, we ask that you follow the criteria below:
- To prevent infection, we only accept new and unwrapped items.
- Toys should be sturdy and free of any parts which may pinch
- All craft materials (markers, glue, paints, etc.) must be non-toxic
- If the items don’t fall within our guidelines or are unsafe/inappropriate for our patients, we reserve the right to politely decline your donation.
Items We Cannot Accept
- Toy collections even if they have been well preserved
- Plush, stuffed animals or any items with small pellets
- Anything handmade such as knitted or crocheted items such as beanies, blankets, clothing
- No oversized toys, ie ride-able vehicles, large doll houses/doll vehicles or other oversized items
- VHS tapes
- Wooden items
- Glass or brittle plastic toys which can easily break and leave sharp edges
- Flowers, edible gifts and holiday treats
- Any items that promote violent and aggressive behavior including video games and DVDS
Year-round Wish List
Items Needed the Most
(Quantities of 30 or more are greatly appreciated when possible)
- Generic coloring books –- no holiday/spiritual references
- Crayons (Crayola brand preferred), Markers and colored pencils –- all sizes
- Play-Doh (cans with no attachments)
- Baby rattles
- Baby mirrors
- Infant Toys (0-2 year olds)
- Musical Toys (cause and effect)
- Pop-up toys (cause and effect)
- Bubbles (4 oz bottle or smaller)
- Super hero action figures
- Barbie dolls
- Hard-body baby dolls (please no plush/soft-body dolls)
- Craft and bead kits
- Educational/Science Kits
- Table Top Games – especially UNO cards and Playing Cards
- Small White Boards with Dry-erase Markers (size 8.5" x 11")
- Beauty Kits (Make-up and Lotion kits) for older patients (No body sprays)
- Earbuds & Headphones for older patients
- L.A. sports team sports swag
If you are planning to host a toy drive click here for a downloadable template.
Volunteer Resources does not receive literary books for our Toy room, simply coloring/activity books. If you would like to donate reading books, please contact the Literally Healing Department at 323-361-4312 or LiterallyHealing@chla.usc.edu. Their office will be able to give you their most up-to-date wish list and facilitate the book donation. You may also visit their webpage for more information here.
How Do I Send/ Deliver My Donation?
Unfortunately, we are unable to pick up any donated items.
FOR DECEMBER: Please schedule a 20 minute drop-off appointment by clicking here.
December Drop-off dates
|Tuesday||December 10th||3:00 pm – 7:00 pm|
|Thursday||December 12th||3:00 pm – 7:00 pm|
|Saturday||December 14th||10:00 am – 2:00 pm|
|Sunday||December 15th||10:00 am – 2:00 pm|
|Tuesday||December 17th||3:00 pm – 7:00 pm|
|Thursday||December 19th||3:00 pm – 7:00 pm|
|Friday||December 20th||10:00 am – 7:00 pm|
|Saturday||December 21st||10:00 am – 2:00 pm|
December Drop-Off Location
Our December donation drop-off is located at 4655 De Longpre Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027, directly behind the hospital. All holiday donations will be accepted curb side at the corner of De Longpre Ave and Vermont. Our team will be waiting to support your drop-off. Be on the look out for our tents and staff. If you are having trouble locating us you may also enter these coordinates into your GPS 34.096972,-118.291167
If you prefer to mail us your donation of brand-new items, you may send your gifts to the following address:
Children's Hospital Los Angeles – TOY DONATION
4650 Sunset Blvd., MS #64, Volunteer Resources Dept.
Los Angeles, CA 90027
For 2020 Donations
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a donation form and a drop-off time.
Can I deliver my gifts to patients directly?
No. Unfortunately, due to infection control and privacy policies, you will not be able to deliver your gifts to patients directly.
Gift Cards: The New Toy Drive
Space in the hospital to store all the wonderful toys is at a premium; as such we kindly recommend holding a “Gift Card” drive, instead of a traditional toy drive whenever possible. Gift cards allow us to maximize your gift to our patients because they provide our staff with the flexibility to make “on-demand” toy purchases. Also, if a particular patient would benefit less from a toy and more from an educational game, book or personal choice, we like to offer a gift card to that patient. Below are some popular choices:
- Amazon: $25 increments
- Target: $25 increments
- Movie Theaters: Regal, Edwards, AMC, Fandango
Gift cards may be delivered in person or mailed to us at the following address:
Volunteer Resources Department
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd. #64
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Thank you for your generosity!