Sports Medicine Program
The Sports Medicine program in the Children’s Orthopaedic Center at Children's Hospital Los Angeles is the only pediatric sports medicine facility in Southern California. Kids play hard and don't like being on the sidelines. Our team of doctors and therapists work with young athletes to minimize the anxiety of injury and time away from sports.
Comprehensive Care for Child Athletes
Treating a child is unlike treating an adult athlete. Our team provides evaluation, treatment and follow up care, including rehabilitation, to meet the special needs of growing children of all athletic abilities and skill levels. We offer some of the latest procedures, such as arthroscopic and minimally-invasive surgeries, to help kids play to the best of their ability.
Sports Medicine Research
- Operative and nonoperative care of the growing athlete
- ACL reconstruction in the growing child
- Patellar reconstruction in the growing child
- Discoid meniscus
- Fractures of the upper and lower extremity
Sports Medicine Program Highlights
Our relationship with the Santa Monica Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Group allows for a collaboration of pediatric-trained sports medicine experts with the highest caliber of adult sports medicine surgeons, bridging the gap between childhood and adulthood care.
We are the only center in this region that is comfortable in providing ACL (anterior cruciate ligament tears) reconstruction for growing child athletes. Hundreds of children with ACL tears have been treated by our surgeons and returned to sports of all types. Treatment for children with this condition has been provided effectively at all ages, even as young as 6 years old.
In several instances, athletes are happy to learn that physical therapy and change in form may be sufficient to get them back to their sports activities.
Bones in children and adolescents are still growing, meaning that it is crucial for surgeons to account for this during surgery. Our operating room is equipped with small joint arthroscopy equipment and the tools and experience necessary to care for the unique problems that are encountered by the growing athlete.
Sports Concussion Clinic
Sports Concussion Program Follow-Up
- Same-day or next-day medical appointments to evaluate your child soon after a concussion.
- Consultation to determine appropriate, safe and timely return to sports.
- Multidisciplinary team of Board-Certified experts in sports medicine, neuropsychology, rehabilitation and more.
- Coordination of care with primary care providers, school personnel, coaches, athletic trainers and other relevant personnel.
The Sports Medicine Program provides a comprehensive team of uniquely trained physicians, equipped with experience in the treatment of complex sports-related injuries.
- Orthopaedic surgeons
- Primary care sports medicine physicians
- Pain management physicians
- Certified Athletic Trainers
In addition to the team onsite, we refer our patients to child specialists in the following areas:
- Health and fitness evaluations
- Injury prevention
- Performance tests
- Physical therapy
Commonly Treated Sports Injuries
- ACL tears
- Ankle disorders
- Bone fractures
- Discoid meniscus
- Elbow disorders
- Joint disorders
- Knee disorders
- Kneecap dislocation
- Ligament tears
- Meniscal tears
- Multiple sprains
- Osteochondritis dissecans (OCD)
- Overuse Injuries
- Patellar instability
- Shoulder instability and dislocations