About the George Donnell Society
The George Donnell Society for Pediatric Scientists is dedicated to improving the health of children by training pediatric scientists to perform innovative and high quality research. The Society includes pediatric residents, subspecialty fellows, graduate students, research post-doctoral fellows and faculty who are interested in performing pediatric research. The Society provides mentorship, infrastructure and a community for pediatric scientists in training.
George “Nino” Donnell, MD, was Physician-in-Chief and Chair of Pediatrics at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles from 1971 through 1984. Dr. Donnell’s commitment to the teaching and mentorship of pediatricians, as well as his numerous clinical and scientific achievements, has shaped a generation of pediatric physicians and scientists at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. The George Donnell Society and Fellowship will honor his contributions by continuing to train the best pediatric physician scientists.
- Train high-quality physician scientists within Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Pediatric Residency and Fellowship programs.
- Provide an infrastructure and environment to ensure that physician scientists-in-training can learn and produce innovative, high-impact research.
- Invited physician scientist speakers.
- Chalk talks /education activities.
- Mixers, social events, offsite educational opportunities.
- Administrative support for:
- Available training and educational opportunities at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, USC, CalTech and other local programs.
About the Donnell Fellowship
The Donnell Society sponsors one Donnell Fellow per year, who is chosen at the beginning of their pediatrics internship year.
- Residency applicants who are interested in being considered for the Donnell Fellowship fill out a brief supplementary application. Donnell Fellowship applicants are interviewed on specific days, when they meet with the designated physician scientists as well as faculty from their subspecialty of interest, including the program director.
- Donnell Fellows are admitted into the fellowship of their choice at the time they are selected as Donnell Fellows. The Society covers 50% of fellows’ salaries during research years of fellowship (years two to three or two to four of fellowship).
- An individual development plan (IDP) is developed by each Fellow, in consultation with the Fellow, Mentor, Fellowship Director and Steering Committee.
- The option to participate in the American Board of Pediatrics' Accelerated Research Pathway.
- To enhance academic needs identified by the IDP, tuition for outside coursework will be covered by the Donnell Society (up to eight credits/year).
- Fellows are given a travel allowance to attend one national conference per year throughout residency and fellowship. They also receive an educational allowance for purchase of books, software, etc.
Steven Mittelman, MD, PhD is the founding director of the Donnell Society. His laboratory in The Saban Research Institute of Children's Hospital Los Angeles explores the mechanistic links between obesity and cancer. Mittelman is also the head of the hospital's Diabetes and Obesity Program and director of the MD/PhD Program at the Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California.
Contact him by email or call 323-361-7653.
Harleen K. Gill is the program coordinator of the Donnell Society. She joined Children's Hospital Los Angeles in April of 2012 as Coordinator of Research Training where she supports training programs for The Saban Research Institute. Before that, she worked as Research Coordinator at USC and the Massachusetts General Hospital in pediatric research.
Contact her by email or call 323-361-8626.
The George Donnell Society
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Blvd.,
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Donnell Fellowship Application
- Grace Aldrovandi, MD, CM
- Shahab Asgharzadeh, MD
- Mark Borchert, MD
- Sebastien Bouret, PhD
- Yves A. DeClerck, MD
- Barbara Driscoll, PhD
- Anat Erdreich-Epstein, MD, PhD
- Vicente Gilsanz, MD, PhD
- Nora Heisterkamp, PhD
- Natasha Lepore, PhD
- Ching Ling (Ellin) Lien, PhD
- Steven Mittelman, MD, PhD
- Prasadarao Nemani, PhD
- D. Brent Polk, MD
- Wei Shi, MD, PhD
- Richard Simerly, PhD
- Elizabeth Sowell, PhD
- David Warburton, OBE, DSc, MD, MMM, FRCP, FRCS
- John Wood, MD, PhD