Audiologists at Children's Hospital Los Angeles specialize in hearing tests for infants to young adult and for those with complex developmental and medical conditions. Audiologic evaluations are done on newborns and children up to 21 years old. Our clinic provides patients and their families with leading edge diagnostic and hearing evaluation options uniquely available at our hospital.
Children should undergo a hearing evaluation if any of the following issues are identified:
- Refer results on the newborn hearing screening.
- NICCU stay or ECMO treatment.
- Mother had an in utero infection while pregnant.
- Family members with congenital hearing loss.
- Craniofacial anomalies or symptoms associated with a syndrome including hearing loss.
- Developmental delay or speech delay, including lack of speech or unclear speech.
- Use of ototoxic medication such as chemotherapy drugs.
- Head injuries.
- Meningitis or very high fever.
- Ventilator dependency.
- Recurrent ear infections.
- The inability to understand or follow simple directions by the age of three.
SYNDROMES ASSOCIATED WITH HEARING LOSS
Syndromes associated with hearing loss include:
- Neurofibromatosis Type II
- Down Syndrome
- Usher Syndrome
- Waardenburg Syndrome
- Alport Syndrome
- Apert Syndrome
- Crouzon Syndrome
- Treacher Collins
- Turner Syndrome
- CHARGE Association
- 22q11 deletion also known as Goldenhar Syndrome
- And several more…
HEARING AID SERVICES
If a hearing loss is found during the audiologic assessment, our department provides referral resources to assist the child and family. In addition, our clinic offers hearing aid evaluations, hearing aid fittings and verification services to assess the child’s individual needs.
- Hearing Aids
- Assisted Learning Device
Audiologists provide services to patients through the following areas of our hospital:
Education resources to help a patient and family with diagnosed hearing loss can be found at:
Hearing and Speech Clinic
Children's Hospital Los Angeles
4650 Sunset Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Eva Chiu, AuD
Valerie Lacuesta, AuD
Victoria Mena, AuD
Sandra Romero, AuD
Bea Smith, AuD
Refer a Patient
Pediatric Rehabilitative Medicine
Hearing Aid Services